Most Active Stories
- Jim Skeffington, PawSox President & Prominent Lawyer, Has Died
- Biologists Plan To Continue Tracking Beluga Whales In Narragansett Bay
- Scott MacKay Commentary: MacKay's RIC Commencement Speech
- Elorza Says Further Steps Needed to Stabilize Providence's Finances
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Next Move for PawSox Providence Stadium?
Mon April 29, 2013
Animal Rights Activists Demonstrate at Brown University
Brown University was the target of an animal rights demonstration Sunday.
About a dozen people picketed Brown carrying signs saying “Stop Testing on Animals Now.” The demonstration was organized by the group “In Defense of Animals.” Organizer Christen Baker says the animal experimentation going on at Brown and other universities is unnecessary.
"There are alternatives that need to be explored. They’re safer. They’re cheaper and they’re accurate."
In response to the protest, Brown issued a statement saying it is committed to the highest standards of animal health and safety and that the university complies with federal regulators to ensure that strict policies are adhered to.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd love to hear from you. email@example.com