Most Active Stories
- Jim Skeffington, PawSox President & Prominent Lawyer, Has Died
- Scott MacKay Commentary: MacKay's RIC Commencement Speech
- Biologists Plan To Continue Tracking Beluga Whales In Narragansett Bay
- Elorza Says Further Steps Needed to Stabilize Providence's Finances
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Next Move for PawSox Providence Stadium?
Fri January 11, 2013
Another RI compounding pharmacy shuttered
(PROVIDENCE, RI) Another compounding pharmacy in Rhode Island has been shuttered and the pharmacist in charge barred from practicing. And once again, cleanliness and record-keeping played a part.
The health department ordered Pharmerica Pharmacy in Warwick to stop mixing up and distributing drugs after inspectors found the sterile drug-compounding area was not so sterile. Board of pharmacy inspectors also discovered the pharmacy had failed to monitor surfaces and the air for dangerous microorganisms like the kind that contaminated supposedly sterile medicine at a compounding pharmacy in Massachusetts.
The health department also revoked the head pharmacist’s license, saying that allowing Richard Mancini to continue practicing pharmacy in Rhode Island would "constitute an immediate danger to the public."
Bayview compounding pharmacy was ordered to stop producing drugs late last year for similar reasons but has since reopened.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com