Most Active Stories
- Jim Skeffington, PawSox President & Prominent Lawyer, Has Died
- Biologists Plan To Continue Tracking Beluga Whales In Narragansett Bay
- Scott MacKay Commentary: MacKay's RIC Commencement Speech
- Elorza Says Further Steps Needed to Stabilize Providence's Finances
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Next Move for PawSox Providence Stadium?
Thu December 12, 2013
Anti-Abortion Group Defends Bishop Tobin’s Mandela Comment
Rhode Island Catholic Bishop Thomas Tobin has taken a lot of heat for criticizing Nelson Mandela. Two days after Mandela died Tobin issued a statement calling his legalization of abortion “shameful.”
But now Tobin supporters are speaking out. The anti-abortion American Life League has put out a statement thanking Tobin. The statement said Tobin had the courage to point out the “shameful irony” between Mandela’s promotion of abortion and his stance against apartheid.
Earlier this week, the Washington DC based group “Catholics United” said Tobin’s comments reflect a level of tone deafness that is tragic.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org