Most Active Stories
- TGIF: 17 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Almost 15 Years After Cornel Young Jr.'s Death, How Much Has Changed in Rhode Island?
- The paranoid opposition to RhodeMap RI
- W&I Researchers Find Single Family Rooms Better For NICU Babies
- 'Warning Shot': Sen. Warren On Fighting Banks, And Her Political Future
Thu June 13, 2013
Audit Finds State Retirees Received Thousands in Disability Pension Overpayment
An audit shows that six state retirees received a combined overpayment of almost 560-thousand dollars in disability pensions. The state retirement system is working with law enforcement to determine whether to pursue criminal or civil charges against the individuals.
In a statement, state Treasurer Gina Raimondo said the retirees received the overpayments between 2001 and the end of 2011. Raimondo, who chairs the state Retirement Board, said disability pensions have been suspended for the six individuals.
The treasurer said negotiations are continuing to hire the state retirement system’s first outside investigator for disability pensions.
Raimondo said 19 of an outside auditing firm’s 20 recommendations have been completed, including creating a hotline to report suspected abuse of disability pensions.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org