Most Active Stories
- Experts To Brief Lawmakers On Hep C In RI; Cost Of Treatment Likely To Come Up During Budget Talks
- Former Speaker Gordon Fox Pleads Guilty to Bribery, Wire Fraud & Filing a False Tax Return
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Raimondo's Budget Challenges And Secrecy
- Fox Broke Statehouse Iron Rule
- TGIF: 17 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
Thu June 13, 2013
Audit Finds State Retirees Received Thousands in Disability Pension Overpayment
An audit shows that six state retirees received a combined overpayment of almost 560-thousand dollars in disability pensions. The state retirement system is working with law enforcement to determine whether to pursue criminal or civil charges against the individuals.
In a statement, state Treasurer Gina Raimondo said the retirees received the overpayments between 2001 and the end of 2011. Raimondo, who chairs the state Retirement Board, said disability pensions have been suspended for the six individuals.
The treasurer said negotiations are continuing to hire the state retirement system’s first outside investigator for disability pensions.
Raimondo said 19 of an outside auditing firm’s 20 recommendations have been completed, including creating a hotline to report suspected abuse of disability pensions.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org