Most Active Stories
- Nuala Pell, Spouse And Political Partner Of Sen. Claiborne Pell, Dies
- Remembering Local Musician David Lamb Of Brown Bird
- Beer, Wine Bills Backed By Farm Breweries And Wineries, But Not Liquor Industry
- Scott MacKay Commentary: We Remember: Patriot's Day 2014
- Brown University Looking To Become Center For Brazilian Study
Fri September 6, 2013
Avedisian Not Considering A Run For Governor
Governor Lincoln Chafee’s decision not to seek re-election hasn’t changed the political plans of one prominent Republican. Warwick Mayor Scott Avedisian still plans to choose between seeking re-election and running for lieutenant governor.
Avedisian won a special election to become mayor of Warwick in 2000 and he’s gone on to become the longest-serving mayor in that city’s history. The moderate Republican hasn’t been in any rush to seek a different office, and he said Chafee’s move doesn’t alter his plans.
Avedisian said earlier this year that he’s thinking about running next year for lieutenant governor. The office will be open since term limits prevent current LG Elizabeth Roberts from seeking re-election.
Avedisian said he hopes to decide his political plans by the end of the year. As it stands, Cranston Mayor Allan Fung is expected to be the Republican candidate for governor in 2014.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com