Most Active Stories
- Bob Kerr: We Have Seen The Best And The Worst
- RI's Brown Bird Finds A Solemn Victory On Final Album
- Learning To Respect A Patient's Wishes At The End Of Life
- Raimondo: State Wants Better Deal on PawSox' Proposed Ballpark
- PawSox Seek Meeting with Raimondo; Team Signals Flexibility After Negative Reaction to Proposal
Mon June 10, 2013
Avedisian Says He "Can't Vote" for Chafee as a Democrat
"I'm a Republican and I would expect to be supporting the Republican candidate," Avedisian told reporters, including RIPR's Flo Jonic, before a news conference Monday morning.
Avedisian called Chafee's decision to become a Democrat part of "an interesting process." The Republican mayor says it will mark the first time that Chafee will be on a ballot and "I can't vote for him."
Avedisian succeeded Chafee in the Warwick mayor's office in 1999, when John Chafee died and then-Governor Lincoln Almond picked Lincoln Chafee to fill the remainder of his father's US Senate term.
Warwick is among the state's most important communities in a gubernatorial race, and it borders Cranston, home to the expected GOP candidate in next year's fight for governor, Allan Fung.
Chafee became an independent in 2007 after losing a Senate race to Democrat in Sheldon Whitehouse in 2006. He was the only independent governor in the nation before his recent switch to become a Democrat