Most Active Stories
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Cianci Says He Expected A Two-Man Fight When He Entered the Mayoral Race
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Rhody Votes '14: Republicans for Governor Debate
Fri April 12, 2013
Bay Swim Loses Navy Support
A fundraiser swim across Narragansett Bay is in jeopardy because of federal sequestration. The environmental group Save the Bay says the Navy can no longer help host the summer event that’s been going on for more than 30 years in Newport.
The group still plans to hold the swim but says it’s facing financial challenges. Save the Bay says they’ve lost at least million dollars in annual federal funding over the past few years. Their Newport aquarium was also destroyed in Superstorm Sandy.
The group says the Narragansett Bay swim is one of the longest running charitable swims in the country.
RI Sequestration Cuts
Scott MacKay Essay