Most Active Stories
- Police Name Child Killed By RIPTA Bus
- TGIF: 19 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- TGIF: 17 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Scott MacKay Commentary: The PawSox Baseball Move to Providence: Good or Bad?
- PawSox President James Skeffington On The Case For A Providence Ballpark
Tue August 16, 2011
Bennett tapped as Providence director of economic development
By IAN DONNIS
PROVIDENCE, RI – Businessman and former Republican candidate Jim Bennett is Providence's new director of economic development. Bennett says his ideas for creating jobs include streamlining zoning and building on existing technology companies in Rhode Island.
Mayor Angel Taveras says Bennett has the right stuff for the job.
"We needed someone who had experience creating jobs, experience with the business community, experience in Rhode Island, and someone who gets things done," he says. "And that's why I thought Jim was just perfect for that job."
Bennett, a Narragansett resident, grew up in Cranston and is a former hockey star. He created three start-up companies and unsuccessfully ran for treasurer and governor.
Bennett will earn $150-thousand a year while overseeing Providence departments for planning, tourism, and workforce development.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com.