Most Active Stories
- Lorne Adrain Exits Providence Mayoral Campaign
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- Cianci Says He Expected A Two-Man Fight When He Entered the Mayoral Race
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
Mon January 27, 2014
Breakers Mansion At The Center Of Heated Debate
On Monday, Newport’s Zoning Board of Review will hear an appeal of a ruling by the city’s Historic District Commission that rejected plans for a welcome center at the Breakers Mansion.
The Commission decided against the idea in a 4:3 vote during a hearing last August. The Preservation Society of Newport County wants to put the welcome center outside the historic mansion once owned by the Vanderbilt family.
Newport City Zoning Officer Guy Weston said lawyers for the Preservation Society claim the hearing was flawed by a faulty staff report.
“They’re just looking at whether or not there was any procedural error, and they want to make sure that the facts that the commission considered were submitted properly ”
The appeal hearing will be at 7 o’clock Monday night at Newport City Hall.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com