Most Active Stories
- W&I Researchers Find Single Family Rooms Better For NICU Babies
- TGIF: 17 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Seth Magaziner Staffing Up With Jeff Padwa & Andrew Roos
- Almost 15 Years After Cornel Young Jr.'s Death, How Much Has Changed in Rhode Island?
- 'Warning Shot': Sen. Warren On Fighting Banks, And Her Political Future
Fri July 12, 2013
Brendan Doherty Hired by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Rhode Island
Former Congressional candidate and head of the state police Brendan Doherty has landed a job at Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island. Doherty’s new job involves probing into fraud.
Blue Cross & Blue Shield says Doherty will oversee the units that ferret out fraud, waste and abuse … and programs that educate Blue Cross employees. Company spokeswoman Stacy Paterno says Doherty started the job on Monday after a lengthy process. In a statement, Blue Cross Chief Administrative Officer Michele Lederberg calls Doherty “an ideal person” to bring down the cost of health care by addressing fraud. Doherty was the former head of the state police, ran his own security consulting company, and was the director of public safety for Roger Williams University. Last year he lost his bid for Congress against democratic incumbent David Cicilline. Doherty chairs the board at the Wyatt Detention Facility in Central Falls.