Most Active Stories
- W&I Researchers Find Single Family Rooms Better For NICU Babies
- TGIF: 17 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Seth Magaziner Staffing Up With Jeff Padwa & Andrew Roos
- Almost 15 Years After Cornel Young Jr.'s Death, How Much Has Changed in Rhode Island?
- 'Warning Shot': Sen. Warren On Fighting Banks, And Her Political Future
The Education Blog
Fri March 7, 2014
Brown Kicks off 250th Anniversary Celebration
Brown begins a series of public lectures, art exhibits and other events Friday with an open campus and a lecture from World Bank President Jim Yong Kim, who happens to be a Brown alumnus (class of '82).
Kim's talk is sold out, but there will be live internet streaming for anyone who couldn't get tickets.
Brown is also planning to cut a giant Birthday cake on Friday evening. The cake, which will be in the shape of University Hall, is supposed to be large enough to feed 2,500 people. University officials tell me they are also anticipating a fireworks display well worth seeing.
Plenty of other events are scheduled for the weekend. There's a full list of activities on Brown's 250th anniversary website.
Rhode Island Public Radio has been running a series of conversations with Brown faculty and alumni all this week looking at the university's history, character and where Brown is heading. In case you missed it, here's my interview with Brown President Christina Paxson, and the full series is at ripr.org.
Arts & Culture
Scott MacKay Commentary