Most Active Stories
- Lorne Adrain Exits Providence Mayoral Campaign
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Cianci Says He Expected A Two-Man Fight When He Entered the Mayoral Race
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
Wed May 2, 2012
Brown University to give Providence $31.5M
By IAN DONNIS
PROVIDENCE, RI – Brown University plans to give Providence an additional $31.5 million as part of an agreement announced Tuesday. Mayor Angel Taveras says the deal will improve Providence's financial outlook.
The agreement comes after almost a year of sometimes-tense talks between Providence and Brown. Taveras and Brown President Ruth Simmons say the city and the Ivy League university can't succeed without each other. Simmons says that's why Brown will give Providence more than the amount sought by City Hall.
"The question became, not, 'My God, how do we respond to this impossible request from the mayor which is not at all reasonable,'" Simmons says, "but how do we respond in a time that requires that we step up?"
The Brown agreement comes after the City Council approved a cost-cutting overhaul of Providence's pension plan. Public employees are expected to sue over that move; Taveras says the city is prepared to defend itself in court.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com.