Most Active Stories
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- A.H. Belo Hires Arkansas Firm to Explore Sale of the Providence Journal
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics + Media
- This I Believe Rhode Island: Getting Up Early
- Prescription Drug Abuse On The Rise On College Campuses Across The Country
Thu November 11, 2010
Cariceri in 2012?
By IAN DONNIS
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – State Republican Chairman Giovanni Cicione is touting two GOP members as possible challengers to US Senator Sheldon Whitehouse in 2012.
Cicione told the Washington publication Roll Call that he may challenge Whitehouse if other candidates don't come forward. But Cicione says he'd prefer that other Republicans, like Governor Carcieri or Warwick Mayor Scott Avedisian, represent the GOP.
"We got a couple very good prospects, I think, for the race, including the governor and Scott Avedisian, who I think would make an excellent candidate," Cicione says.
Carcieri spokeswoman Amy Kempe doesn't rule out the possibility of a Senate run by the governor. But Kempe says for now Carcieri is focused on finishing the next two months of his administration and then spending more time with his family.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org.