Most Active Stories
- Jim Skeffington, PawSox President & Prominent Lawyer, Has Died
- Biologists Plan To Continue Tracking Beluga Whales In Narragansett Bay
- Scott MacKay Commentary: MacKay's RIC Commencement Speech
- Elorza Says Further Steps Needed to Stabilize Providence's Finances
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Next Move for PawSox Providence Stadium?
Mon July 1, 2013
The Cathedral of SS Peter and Paul Getting $1M Facelift
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Providence is making some major improvements to the Cathedral of Saints Peter and Paul. That will mean masses will be moved downstairs to a meeting hall for a few months.
The Cathedral of Saints Peter and Paul is getting a massive facelift just in time for its 125th anniversary next year. Monsignor Anthony Mancini, rector of the church, said improvements are being made from top to bottom.
“So what we are doing is taking up all the pews – and there are quite a few as you can imagine. And we’re putting a new floor under there. We’re improving the lighting greatly,” said Mancini. “We’re also renovating bathrooms and putting new floors here and there. So it’s kind of a major renovation. Also, the outside we’re fixing the bells and the tower clock, which hasn’t worked in a while. And things like that kind of major things.”
The cost of the improvements is expected to exceed $1 million. Financing will come from contributions and the church’s endowment.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com