Most Active Stories
- Nuala Pell, Spouse And Political Partner Of Sen. Claiborne Pell, Dies
- Remembering Local Musician David Lamb Of Brown Bird
- Beer, Wine Bills Backed By Farm Breweries And Wineries, But Not Liquor Industry
- Scott MacKay Commentary: We Remember: Patriot's Day 2014
- Brown University Looking To Become Center For Brazilian Study
Sat December 11, 2010
Central Falls Fire Chief laid to rest
By MEGAN HALL
Providence, RI – Fire fighters and dignitaries from Rhode Island and beyond are gathering today to honor the life of Central Fall's Fire Chief.
Fire fighters remember Rene Coutu as a man who always left his office door open-offering advice or support to anyone with a problem.
Coutu had just celebrated 25 years as fire chief when he landed in the hospital. Central Falls battalion Chief Keith Sullivan says everyone thought the stay was temporary. "He entered the hospital on December 2nd, and we all kind of expected him to spend a few days and go home, Sullivan says.
But Coutu died of cancer five days later, on December 7th. He spent his last night surrounded by family, watching the New England Patriots pummel the New York Jets by more than 40 points.
Streets along the funeral procession between the Keefe Funeral Home in Lincoln and Holy Spirit Parish church in Central Falls are closed to traffic until noon. RIPTA Buses along the route will follow detours.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org.