Most Active Stories
- Nuala Pell, Spouse And Political Partner Of Sen. Claiborne Pell, Dies
- Remembering Local Musician David Lamb Of Brown Bird
- Beer, Wine Bills Backed By Farm Breweries And Wineries, But Not Liquor Industry
- Scott MacKay Commentary: We Remember: Patriot's Day 2014
- Brown University Looking To Become Center For Brazilian Study
Thu November 7, 2013
Central Falls Police: Drug Sweep Has Reduced Violence In The City
A four-month long investigation has resulted in the arrests of nearly three dozen accused drug dealers. The investigation targeted narcotics activity in Central Falls.
Starting in June Central Falls police noticed an uptick in shootings. They suspected it was drug related so they called in the state police to help them out. The result was the arrests of 35 individuals over a four month period and the seizure of a sizable collection of illegal drugs, said Rhode Island State Police Superintendent Steven O’Donnell.
“This includes the seizure of 229 grams of cocaine, 126 grams of crack, 214 grams of heroin and about $20,000 in U.S. currency and the seizure of a firearm,” said O’Donnell. “The total street value of the drugs was approximately $42,000.”
Central Falls Police Chief James Mendonca said the drug busts have alleviated the violence in his city. Central Falls Mayor James Diossa agreed, saying the city feels safer.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org