Most Active Stories
- Bob Kerr: We Have Seen The Best And The Worst
- RI's Brown Bird Finds A Solemn Victory On Final Album
- Learning To Respect A Patient's Wishes At The End Of Life
- Raimondo: State Wants Better Deal on PawSox' Proposed Ballpark
- PawSox Seek Meeting with Raimondo; Team Signals Flexibility After Negative Reaction to Proposal
Tue August 23, 2011
Chafee to announce I-195 commission
By IAN DONNIS
PROVIDENCE, RI – Governor Lincoln Chafee is set to announce his selections for the commission overseeing the redevelopment of land made available by the relocation of Interstate 195.
Chafee will be joined by Providence Mayor Angel Taveras and House Speaker Gordon Fox for a 2:30 p.m. news conference on Tuesday, August 23. Barring rain, the event will take place on part of the former I-195 land envisioned by city and state officials as a catalyst for economic development.
Taveras and Fox each gave a list of recommendations for the redevelopment commission to Chafee earlier this month. The governor is required to pick three choices by Taveras, and one by Fox, while adding three of his own. Since Fox is from Providence, that will give the capital city a majority of votes on the panel.
The relocation of I-195 is making about 20-acres available for development near downtown Providence.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org.