Most Active Stories
- Police Name Child Killed By RIPTA Bus
- TGIF: 19 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- TGIF: 17 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Scott MacKay Commentary: The PawSox Baseball Move to Providence: Good or Bad?
- PawSox President James Skeffington On The Case For A Providence Ballpark
Wed August 24, 2011
Chafee announces I-195 commission
By IAN DONNIS
PROVIDENCE, RI – Governor Lincoln Chafee has announced his seven nominees for the commission charged with sparking economic development on former highway land near downtown Providence. It's a list that draws from a variety of industries.
Chafee's nominee to chair the I-195 Redevelopment Commission, Colin Kane, heads an East Providence development company. Kane says the commission's most vital role will be providing coordination and thorough planning.
"Our goal is avoid the piecemeal pad site by pad site approach that could result if done incorrectly in 20 indivdual buildings surrounded by oceans of surface parking with no shared purpose and no shared infrastructure," he says.
The other nominees are lawyers Mark Ryan and John Kelly; nonprofit developer Michael Van Leesten; tech entrepreneur Barrett Bready, art consultant Diana Johnson; and labor and delivery nurse Barbara Hunger.
The picks are subject to Senate confirmation.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org.