Most Active Stories
- Nuala Pell, Spouse And Political Partner Of Sen. Claiborne Pell, Dies
- Scott MacKay Commentary: We Remember: Patriot's Day 2014
- Brown University Looking To Become Center For Brazilian Study
- Beer, Wine Bills Backed By Farm Breweries And Wineries, But Not Liquor Industry
- Remembering Local Musician David Lamb Of Brown Bird
Wed August 24, 2011
Chafee announces I-195 commission
By IAN DONNIS
PROVIDENCE, RI – Governor Lincoln Chafee has announced his seven nominees for the commission charged with sparking economic development on former highway land near downtown Providence. It's a list that draws from a variety of industries.
Chafee's nominee to chair the I-195 Redevelopment Commission, Colin Kane, heads an East Providence development company. Kane says the commission's most vital role will be providing coordination and thorough planning.
"Our goal is avoid the piecemeal pad site by pad site approach that could result if done incorrectly in 20 indivdual buildings surrounded by oceans of surface parking with no shared purpose and no shared infrastructure," he says.
The other nominees are lawyers Mark Ryan and John Kelly; nonprofit developer Michael Van Leesten; tech entrepreneur Barrett Bready, art consultant Diana Johnson; and labor and delivery nurse Barbara Hunger.
The picks are subject to Senate confirmation.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com.