Most Active Stories
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- A.H. Belo Hires Arkansas Firm to Explore Sale of the Providence Journal
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics + Media
- This I Believe Rhode Island: Getting Up Early
- Prescription Drug Abuse On The Rise On College Campuses Across The Country
Fri April 5, 2013
Chafee Calls for Review of URI Gun Scare
Governor Lincoln Chafee says he’s relieved and grateful that no one was seriously injured yesterday at the University, where a report of an active shooter on campus proved to be unfounded. The campus was on lockdown for about two-and-a-half hours.
The governor said in a statement the state will review what happened. He said the incident provides a unique opportunity to review emergency operations and how the situation was handled.
Police say it started in a lecture hall when people believed they heard someone say they had a gun. An investigation revealed there was no gun or active shooter at any time.
The Education Blog