Most Active Stories
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- A.H. Belo Hires Arkansas Firm to Explore Sale of the Providence Journal
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics + Media
- This I Believe Rhode Island: Getting Up Early
- Prescription Drug Abuse On The Rise On College Campuses Across The Country
The Education Blog
Mon June 10, 2013
Chafee Joins Governors for Invite-Only Education Summit
Governor Lincoln Chafee is in Chicago Monday for a symposium on education. The event is hosted by James B. Hunt Institute for Educational Leadership and Policy, a group affiliated with the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. The institute says its goal is to strengthen public education by bringing politicians and policymakers together to discuss state-level education policy.
The Hunt Institute Board of Directors includes a number of politicians, among them former Rhode Island Governor Don Carcieri, who helped bring controversial Education Commissioner Deborah Gist to the Ocean State.
The Providence Journal reports that Gist and State Education Board Chair Eva-Marie Mancuso have accompanied Chafee to the governors education summit.