Most Active Stories
- Jim Skeffington, PawSox President & Prominent Lawyer, Has Died
- Scott MacKay Commentary: MacKay's RIC Commencement Speech
- Biologists Plan To Continue Tracking Beluga Whales In Narragansett Bay
- Elorza Says Further Steps Needed to Stabilize Providence's Finances
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Next Move for PawSox Providence Stadium?
Mon June 20, 2011
Chafee, Taveras to lead tour of Knowledge District
By FLO JONIC
Providence, RI – Governor Lincoln Chafee and Providence mayor Angel Taveras will lead a walking tour of the Knowledge District today. Joining them will be officials from the Brown University Medical School, the University of Maryland and Lifespan.
Developing the acreage freed up by the relocation of Interstate 195 is a top priority of the Governor. He recently visited the life sciences hub in Baltimore during a fact finding mission to identify best practices for such developments.
Melissa Chambers, a spokeswoman for the state Economic Development Corporation, explains the goal of today's tour. "We hope to accomplish a couple of things," she says. "One, it is an opportunity for the medical and life sciences leadership in Baltimore to visit our state and take a tour of the knowledge district. And secondly we really want to have an open dialogue with the business community to hear what Baltimore has to say and share what our thoughts are."
The relocation of Interstate 195 freed up 19 acres of land to be redeveloped in the heart of the capital city.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org.