Most Active Stories
- Nuala Pell, Spouse And Political Partner Of Sen. Claiborne Pell, Dies
- Remembering Local Musician David Lamb Of Brown Bird
- Beer, Wine Bills Backed By Farm Breweries And Wineries, But Not Liquor Industry
- Scott MacKay Commentary: We Remember: Patriot's Day 2014
- Brown University Looking To Become Center For Brazilian Study
Mon June 20, 2011
Chafee, Taveras to lead tour of Knowledge District
By FLO JONIC
Providence, RI – Governor Lincoln Chafee and Providence mayor Angel Taveras will lead a walking tour of the Knowledge District today. Joining them will be officials from the Brown University Medical School, the University of Maryland and Lifespan.
Developing the acreage freed up by the relocation of Interstate 195 is a top priority of the Governor. He recently visited the life sciences hub in Baltimore during a fact finding mission to identify best practices for such developments.
Melissa Chambers, a spokeswoman for the state Economic Development Corporation, explains the goal of today's tour. "We hope to accomplish a couple of things," she says. "One, it is an opportunity for the medical and life sciences leadership in Baltimore to visit our state and take a tour of the knowledge district. And secondly we really want to have an open dialogue with the business community to hear what Baltimore has to say and share what our thoughts are."
The relocation of Interstate 195 freed up 19 acres of land to be redeveloped in the heart of the capital city.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org.