Most Active Stories
- Nuala Pell, Spouse And Political Partner Of Sen. Claiborne Pell, Dies
- Scott MacKay Commentary: We Remember: Patriot's Day 2014
- Brown University Looking To Become Center For Brazilian Study
- Beer, Wine Bills Backed By Farm Breweries And Wineries, But Not Liquor Industry
- Remembering Local Musician David Lamb Of Brown Bird
Tue April 26, 2011
Chafee traveling to Baltimore
By IAN DONNIS
PROVIDENCE, RI – Governor Lincoln Chafee plans to travel to Baltimore this Friday to learn about how healthcare has bolstered that city's economic development efforts.
Chafee says the trip was suggested by Rhode Island Hospital president Timothy Babineau, who used to work at the Maryland Medical Center. Chafee says healthcare firms are suited for a central role in the land opened up by the relocation of Interstate 195.
The healthcare industry is growing, the Brown Med School is in this area of the 195 land and the hospitals - Hasbro Children's Hospital, Women and Infants, and Rhode Island Hospital just down the street - so I think it's a natural to look at this segment of the economy for growth.
Providence Mayor Angel Taveras will join Chafee on the one-day trip. For now, the governor remains non-committal about whether nonprofit or for-profit development should take the lead with the 195 land.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com.