Most Active Stories
- Lorne Adrain Exits Providence Mayoral Campaign
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- Cianci Says He Expected A Two-Man Fight When He Entered the Mayoral Race
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
Wed June 19, 2013
Chafee Urges State to Pay Off 38 Studios Bonds Following Downgrade
Gov. Lincoln Chafee says Moody’s is sending Rhode Island an important message by downgrading the state’s bonds for its failed deal with 38 Studios.
The credit rating agency downgraded the bonds by two notches and put the state on notice that the rest of its obligations are under review for a possible downgrade.
Lawmakers are debating whether to default on the moral obligation bonds used to float the failed video game company. Chafee said as Moody’s has shown, that’s a bad idea.
“Well, it’s a significant message to the General Assembly about living up to our obligations. And there are going to be consequences if we don’t, we’ve already seen the consequences on 38 Studios but really the extension to the other bonds are what’s really important," said Chafee.
Chafee’s budget includes a 2-point-5 million dollar payment on the nearly 90 million dollars owed on the 38 Studios bonds.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd love to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org