Most Active Stories
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- A.H. Belo Hires Arkansas Firm to Explore Sale of the Providence Journal
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics + Media
- This I Believe Rhode Island: Getting Up Early
- Prescription Drug Abuse On The Rise On College Campuses Across The Country
Thu June 13, 2013
Chafee using new Democratic label to raise campaign cash
Gov. Lincoln Chafee is busy embracing his new party. The RI governor was in Massachusetts with President Barack Obama on the campaign circuit to boost the Senate candidacy of U.S. Rep. Ed Markey, D_Mass.
Newly minted Democrat Chafee is also ramping up his fundraising for a 2014 reelection bid. The governor has scheduled a fundraising event for Tuesday, June 25th at the University Club on Benefit Street in Providence. It is a two-tier fundraiser with suggested contributions of $500 and $1,000.
The invite makes it clear that Chafee is emphasizing his new party, stating that the event is ``in honor of Lincoln Chafee, Democratic governor of Rhode Island.’’
Chafee switched his voter registration two weeks ago from independent, or unaffiliated in Rhode Island political argot, to Democratic. Until he lost his 2006 reelection race for U.S. Senate, Chafee, who is also a former Warwick city council member and Warwick mayor, was a Republican.