Most Active Stories
- Jim Skeffington, PawSox President & Prominent Lawyer, Has Died
- Scott MacKay Commentary: MacKay's RIC Commencement Speech
- Biologists Plan To Continue Tracking Beluga Whales In Narragansett Bay
- Elorza Says Further Steps Needed to Stabilize Providence's Finances
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Next Move for PawSox Providence Stadium?
Tue April 26, 2011
Chafee weighs-in on Watson arrest
By FLO JONIC
PROVIDENCE, RI – Governor Lincoln Chafee is weighing in on the arrest of House Minority Leader Robert Watson.
Watson was picked up in East Haven, Connecticut last Friday night on charges of driving under the influence, marijuana possession and paraphernalia possession.
East Haven, Connecticut police say they smelled alcohol and marijuana on Watson when he was stopped at a DWI checkpoint Friday night. He passed a breathalyzer test but was charged with drug possession after police found a plastic bag of marijuana in his pocket.
"If it's accurate," says Governor Lincoln Chafee, "it's just very very sad."
The governor was asked if under the circumstances Watson should yield his leadership position.
"Well I'm just learning about it and I can't give you an answer to that question," he says. "I just regret that occurred to anybody and particularly a member of the legislature."
Watson issued a statement saying he vehemently' denies the charges.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org.