Most Active Stories
- Experts To Brief Lawmakers On Hep C In RI; Cost Of Treatment Likely To Come Up During Budget Talks
- Former Speaker Gordon Fox Pleads Guilty to Bribery, Wire Fraud & Filing a False Tax Return
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Raimondo's Budget Challenges And Secrecy
- Fox Broke Statehouse Iron Rule
- TGIF: 17 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
Tue June 18, 2013
Changes to the State Budget to Be Unveiled
State lawmakers continue to meet behind closed doors as they prepare to unveil their changes to the budget introduced by Governor Lincoln Chafee. The legislative spending plan will be vetted Tuesday by the House Finance Committee.
Filling a budget hole of about 30 million dollars is the top challenge facing lawmakers. The deficit is a result of lower than expected state revenues. Linda Katz of the liberal Center for Economic Progress is concerned that social programs for the needy may take a hit when legislators try to clear the red ink.
“We’re concerned that we might see up to 6500 parents lose affordable health insurance coverage,” said Katz.
Governor Lincoln Chafee’s office says there’s enough flexibility for the budget to still support new investments in education, infrastructure, and workforce development. The next budget year starts July first.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org