Most Active Stories
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- A.H. Belo Hires Arkansas Firm to Explore Sale of the Providence Journal
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics + Media
- This I Believe Rhode Island: Getting Up Early
- Prescription Drug Abuse On The Rise On College Campuses Across The Country
Fri August 19, 2011
City Councilor Miguel Luna dead at 53
By IAN DONNIS
PROVIDENCE,RI – Providence city councilor Miguel Luna died Thursday after suffering a recent heart attack.
Luna was a native of the Dominican Republic who first won election to the City council in 2002. His campaign motto at the time was that he would be a voice for the whole community.
Luna was rushed to Rhode Island Hospital after an August 9th heart attack. In a joint statement, Mayor Angel Taveras and the city council called him an extraordinary humanitarian and humble public servant who identified with those most in need.
Luna is survived by his three children, his mother, his brother, four sisters and nieces and nephews. Miguel Luna was 53 years old.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org.