Mon March 28, 2011
Clergy sex abuse victims want names released
By FLO JONIC
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Advocates for victims of clergy sex abuse are calling on Providence Catholic bishop Thomas Tobin to come clean with the names of accused priests.
In 2007, officials with the diocese of Providence disclosed in court documents that 125 priests had been accused of child sexual abuse since 1971. The names of only 29 have been disclosed. Now, Anne Barrett Doyle of BishopAccountability.org is demanding the names of the other 96 be released.
"Bishop Tobin has a private list of sex offenders that he has no right to be keeping private," she says.
David Clohessy of SNAP, Survivors Network of Those Abused by Priests, says full disclosure is a matter of vital concern to Rhode Island Catholics.
"Some of them are no doubt guilty and are still alive and not behind bars and therefore may literally be molesting children," says Clohessy.
The diocese released a statement saying that it takes clergy abuse allegations very seriously and that the names of the priests accused of such misconduct have been widely reported and documented.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org.