Most Active Stories
- Lorne Adrain Exits Providence Mayoral Campaign
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Cianci Says He Expected A Two-Man Fight When He Entered the Mayoral Race
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
Mon July 18, 2011
Commission recomends home for health exchange
By MEGAN HALL
Providence, RI – Rhode Island is one step closer to creating an online market place for health insurance.
The Rhode Island Healthcare Reform Commission is recommending that a state agency take on the task of designing the state's health insurance exchange.
Health Insurance Commissioner Chris Koller says that's closest to what Rhode Island tried to do with legislation that failed to pass the General Assembly.
"If you look a what we tried to set up with the legislation, I think option two offers the best chance to mirror that in a way that allows the exchange to function going forward," he says.
Option one was designing the exchange out of the Department of Health. Option three would have picked a nonprofit to create the online market place for health insurance.
The state officials didn't specify which state agency should host the exchange. The final decision rests with Governor Chafee who will have to issue an executive order to create the planning committee.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com.