Most Active Stories
- Nuala Pell, Spouse And Political Partner Of Sen. Claiborne Pell, Dies
- Remembering Local Musician David Lamb Of Brown Bird
- Beer, Wine Bills Backed By Farm Breweries And Wineries, But Not Liquor Industry
- Scott MacKay Commentary: We Remember: Patriot's Day 2014
- Brown University Looking To Become Center For Brazilian Study
Wed August 14, 2013
Conservative Group Praises Rhode Island's Pension Overhaul
A conservative group is praising Rhode Island for overhauling its state pension plan in 2011. The changes made to the plan remain the subject of a lawsuit in Superior Court.
In a new report, the American Legislative Exchange Council, ALEC, praises Rhode Island for making significant changes to reduce its long-term pension obligations. The Virginia-based group calls the changes a contrast from states that hold hearings and organize study groups without taking action.
ALEC notes that Rhode Island’s has gained both – quote – “notoriety and praise” for its pension changes. The state remains in court-ordered mediation with a series of public-employee unions over cuts to benefits previously promised to workers.
Earlier this year, a liberal group, the Economic Policy Institute, rapped Rhode Island’s pension overhaul. The architect of the pension changes, state Treasurer Gina Raimondo, is expected to run for governor next year.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org