Most Active Stories
- W&I Researchers Find Single Family Rooms Better For NICU Babies
- TGIF: 17 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Seth Magaziner Staffing Up With Jeff Padwa & Andrew Roos
- Almost 15 Years After Cornel Young Jr.'s Death, How Much Has Changed in Rhode Island?
- 'Warning Shot': Sen. Warren On Fighting Banks, And Her Political Future
Thu July 26, 2012
The curious campaign of Anthony Gemma (cont’d)
First, Anthony Gemma wouldn’t take questions from reporters at his campaign announcement.
Despite a number of inquiries, Gemma has declined to appear on RIPR’s Political Roundtable — which has attracted the likes of Don Carcieri, Lincoln Chafee, Gordon Fox, John Loughlin, David Cicilline, Mark Zaccaria, and just about any other name-brand elected official/politico/pundit in Rhode Island.
Gemma now has more than 519,000 Facebook fans —10 times more fans than the number of votes he received in his 2010 primary loss to Cicilline. It’s a seat Patrick Kennedy held for eight terms in a heavily Democratic area, and this time Gemma has a better shot because Cicilline’s approval ratings are spectacularly low.
But the small-town plumbing executive and self-described “social media guru” declined through his campaign staff to explain how he accumulated so many social media followers so fast. “The campaign does not comment on our social media strategy,” campaign spokesman Alex Morash said in an email.
[UPDATE: Samuel G. Howard of RI's Future was on this trail months ago.]
It’s enough to make you wonder what to expect before the primary vote on September 11.