Most Active Stories
- Nuala Pell, Spouse And Political Partner Of Sen. Claiborne Pell, Dies
- Remembering Local Musician David Lamb Of Brown Bird
- Beer, Wine Bills Backed By Farm Breweries And Wineries, But Not Liquor Industry
- Scott MacKay Commentary: We Remember: Patriot's Day 2014
- Brown University Looking To Become Center For Brazilian Study
Thu February 6, 2014
Curt Schilling Announces Battle With Cancer
As Rhode Island works to recover some of its investment in failed video game company 38 Studios, the company’s famous founder is now battling cancer.
Curt Schilling made the announcement in a statement released through ESPN. The former pitcher for the Boston Red Sox did not indicate what type of cancer, nor whether he is likely to recover.
Schilling faces a lawsuit from Rhode Island’s economic development agency, claiming he and others at 38 Studios failed to fully inform the state of the financial precariousness of the company.
The bankruptcy left Rhode Island with $90 million in bond debt to repay. This year, state lawmakers must decide whether to pay back some $12 million of that money to bond holders.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org