Most Active Stories
- Jim Skeffington, PawSox President & Prominent Lawyer, Has Died
- Biologists Plan To Continue Tracking Beluga Whales In Narragansett Bay
- Scott MacKay Commentary: MacKay's RIC Commencement Speech
- Elorza Says Further Steps Needed to Stabilize Providence's Finances
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Next Move for PawSox Providence Stadium?
Thu February 6, 2014
Curt Schilling Announces Battle With Cancer
As Rhode Island works to recover some of its investment in failed video game company 38 Studios, the company’s famous founder is now battling cancer.
Curt Schilling made the announcement in a statement released through ESPN. The former pitcher for the Boston Red Sox did not indicate what type of cancer, nor whether he is likely to recover.
Schilling faces a lawsuit from Rhode Island’s economic development agency, claiming he and others at 38 Studios failed to fully inform the state of the financial precariousness of the company.
The bankruptcy left Rhode Island with $90 million in bond debt to repay. This year, state lawmakers must decide whether to pay back some $12 million of that money to bond holders.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com