Most Active Stories
- A.H. Belo Hires Arkansas Firm to Explore Sale of the Providence Journal
- Scott MacKay Commentary: 2014 Providence Mayoral Campaign Up For Grabs
- Rhode Island: A Destination For Brain Science?
- This I Believe Rhode Island: Getting Up Early
- Prescription Drug Abuse On The Rise On College Campuses Across The Country
Thu August 30, 2012
Dave Layman to work for Doherty campaign
Dave Layman, a former television news anchor and public relations consultant, is taking over as communications director for Republican Brendan Doherty’s campaign for U.S. Representative in the 1st District.
Layman, 67, of North Kingstown, has recently been a corporate communications consultant and a fixture as a panelist of the local PBS Channel 36 public affairs program, `A Lively Experiment.’
But Layman is more familiar to Rhode Islanders as a news anchor, managing editor and reporter for both NBC 10 (WJAR) and ABC 6 (WLNE). He also worked in television news in Dallas, St. Louis and Minneapolis.
“I am taking this unusual career step because I see Brendan Doherty as a man of integrity and a candidate with a fresh perspective,’’ said Layman.
Layman’s hiring means Doherty’s campaign is gearing up for what is shaping up as a very competitive race against the winner of the Democratic primary between incumbent Congressman David Cicilline and challenger Anthony Gemma.
Layman confirmed that he will not be a Channel 36 `Lively Experiment’ panelist while he is working on Doherty’s campaign.