Most Active Stories
- Lorne Adrain Exits Providence Mayoral Campaign
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Cianci Says He Expected A Two-Man Fight When He Entered the Mayoral Race
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
Fri September 20, 2013
David Caprio Backed By Speaker Fox to Become Next Chair of the RI Democratic Party
Former state rep David Caprio has House Speaker Gordon Fox’s blessing to become the next chair of the Rhode Island Democratic Party. Rhode Island Democrats are expected to formally endorse Caprio during an October 3rd state committee meeting in Cranston.
David Caprio is a member of one of Rhode Island’s most prominent political families. His brother Frank ran for governor in 2010 and hope to win back his old job as state treasurer next year. Their father, also named Frank Caprio, is the chief municipal judge in Providence.
Rhode Island Democrats have been without a chairman since Ed Pacheco stepped down from the post in April to run next year for secretary of state.
Caprio reportedly got the nod in part because of his perceived distance from expected Democratic gubernatorial candidates Angel Taveras and Gina Raimondo. No other candidates are expected during Caprio’s election as state party chairman.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com