Most Active Stories
- Nuala Pell, Spouse And Political Partner Of Sen. Claiborne Pell, Dies
- Scott MacKay Commentary: We Remember: Patriot's Day 2014
- Brown University Looking To Become Center For Brazilian Study
- Beer, Wine Bills Backed By Farm Breweries And Wineries, But Not Liquor Industry
- Remembering Local Musician David Lamb Of Brown Bird
Mon November 25, 2013
Deadline To Sign Up For Health Insurance Extended
The Obama administration has extended the deadline to sign up for health insurance coverage that takes effect January first by one week. Rhode Islanders now have until December 23rd to enroll in a plan on HealthSource RI.
Individuals and small businesses have another week to sign up for health insurance coverage that begins January 1st. The new deadline is December 23rd, instead of December 15, to accommodate consumers who may have had trouble signing up online and to ease the possible rush of sign-ups at the last minute.
Rhode Island’s online health insurance marketplace, HealthSource RI, has been running smoothly. But the decision to push back the deadline was a federal one. Most Americans will be required to have health insurance come March 31st of next year or face a fine.
About 125,000 Rhode Islanders are currently uninsured.