Most Active Stories
- TGIF: 19 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Scott MacKay Commentary: The PawSox Baseball Move to Providence: Good or Bad?
- Scott MacKay Commentary: The Myth Of Rhode Island's Generous Programs For The Poor
- PawSox President James Skeffington On The Case For A Providence Ballpark
- Settlement Presented In Pension Case; May 18 Deadline For Implementation
Mon February 10, 2014
Deepwater Wind And Alstom Sign Major Agreement For Block Island Wind Farm
Deepwater Wind selected the French company Alstom to supply its wind turbines for the Block Island offshore wind farm project.
According to a company press release, Deepwater Wind made an initial multi-million dollar payment to Alstom back in December, so that the French manufacturer could begin to build the turbines.
Alstom will supply Deepwater Wind with five 6 megawatt turbines, including tower sections for the wind farm. Construction of the turbines marks a major milestone for the project.
The partnership between Deepwater Wind and Alstom will create a number of local jobs for assembling the turbines in Rhode Island.
Deepwater Wind is hoping the five turbine wind farm off Block Island will be up and running sometime next year.