A young calf has died of mysterious causes next to a popular Rhode Island ice cream stand. Anyone who may have touched the animal is being urged to contact health officials.
Earlier this month in a small pasture next to Gray’s ice cream shop in Tiverton, a Massachusetts resident was bitten by a three-month old steer, named Oreo.
The calf was quarantined; for fear that it might have rabies.
Just ten days later the animal died.
The Department of Environmental Management was unable to test for rabies, but rabies is a possible cause of death.
Gray’s Ice Cream is a busy shop and health officials worry many people may have touched the animal. They’re asking anyone who did to contact them immediately.
It’s rare for rabies to pass from a cow to a human, but authorities say it is possible. Rabies can be fatal if left untreated.
Editor's note: The story has been corrected to make rabies a possible cause of the calf's death.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org