Most Active Stories
- W&I Researchers Find Single Family Rooms Better For NICU Babies
- TGIF: 17 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Seth Magaziner Staffing Up With Jeff Padwa & Andrew Roos
- Almost 15 Years After Cornel Young Jr.'s Death, How Much Has Changed in Rhode Island?
- 'Warning Shot': Sen. Warren On Fighting Banks, And Her Political Future
Thu February 6, 2014
Dividers Installed Along Pell Bridge In Newport
Road crews have begun installing hundreds of dividers down the center of the Pell Bridge in Newport. About five hundred three-foot yellow posts will stretch the two mile span.
Rhode Island Turnpike and Bridge Authority Director David Darlington said the dividers will not keep people from crossing into oncoming traffic, but should help keep those accidents from occurring in the first place.
“What we’ve put up will remind folks that are driving distracted or tired; they’ll hear and feel these devices if they don’t see them. So that will help prevent some of those folks from crossing over, but it will not prohibit a vehicle from crossing into the oncoming lane," said Darlington.
He added, the Authority is still looking at the possibility of a solid barrier down the center of the bridge. The current divider project cost just over one-hundred thousand dollars, and was paid for with bridge tolls.
They should all be up by Friday afternoon.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com