Most Active Stories
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Cianci Says He Expected A Two-Man Fight When He Entered the Mayoral Race
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Rhody Votes '14: Republicans for Governor Debate
Thu February 6, 2014
Dividers Installed Along Pell Bridge In Newport
Road crews have begun installing hundreds of dividers down the center of the Pell Bridge in Newport. About five hundred three-foot yellow posts will stretch the two mile span.
Rhode Island Turnpike and Bridge Authority Director David Darlington said the dividers will not keep people from crossing into oncoming traffic, but should help keep those accidents from occurring in the first place.
“What we’ve put up will remind folks that are driving distracted or tired; they’ll hear and feel these devices if they don’t see them. So that will help prevent some of those folks from crossing over, but it will not prohibit a vehicle from crossing into the oncoming lane," said Darlington.
He added, the Authority is still looking at the possibility of a solid barrier down the center of the bridge. The current divider project cost just over one-hundred thousand dollars, and was paid for with bridge tolls.
They should all be up by Friday afternoon.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com