Most Active Stories
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Cianci Says He Expected A Two-Man Fight When He Entered the Mayoral Race
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Rhody Votes '14: Republicans for Governor Debate
Fri May 13, 2011
Doherty announces run for Congress
By IAN DONNIS
Providence, RI – More than 200 people were on hand yesterday, when former State Police Superintendent Brendan Doherty launched his campaign for the Congressional seat held by Democrat David Cicilline.
Doherty says he announced his run at Imperial Packaging in Pawtucket because the company is a positive Rhode Island story. The Republican says he wants to fight fraud and waste in Washington. Doherty says his other focus would be creating a more friendly business environment to grow jobs.
"I want to be an ambassador for the business community in the First District and in Rhode Island in general," Doherty said. "I won't talk to a single company owner outside of the state of Rhode Island without my first question being, why don't you come to Rhode Island, bring your company here."
Doherty was introduced by philanthropist Alan Hassenfeld, who says he'll help the candidate raise money. John Loughlin, who lost to Cicilline last November, also plans to run in the Republican primary for the First District seat.