Most Active Stories
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- A.H. Belo Hires Arkansas Firm to Explore Sale of the Providence Journal
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics + Media
- This I Believe Rhode Island: Getting Up Early
- Prescription Drug Abuse On The Rise On College Campuses Across The Country
Wed September 12, 2012
Doherty:Voters can't trust Cicilline
By IAN DONNIS
PROVIDENCE, RI – Republican congressional candidate Brendan Doherty went on the attack against Democratic incumbent David Cicilline Wednesday morning. Doherty says Cicilline doesn't deserve the trust of voters.
Cicilline has tried to link Doherty with the agenda of national Republicans like vice presidential candidate Paul Ryan. But Doherty says Cicilline is distorting how he would vote on issues like Medicare, the federally subsidized healthcare program for the elderly.
"The truth is, I will not vote for any plan that privatizes Medicare or in any way alters the current structure of the Medicare program," says Doherty. "The best way to control Medicare spending is to address the root of the problem, the overall cost of healthcare."
Accusing Cicilline of a series of deceptions, Doherty said he doesn't support privatizing Social Security or cutting those benefits. Cicilline has defended his oversight of Providence as mayor. He also argues Republican values are out of step with most Rhode Island voters.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org.