Most Active Stories
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- A.H. Belo Hires Arkansas Firm to Explore Sale of the Providence Journal
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics + Media
- This I Believe Rhode Island: Getting Up Early
- Prescription Drug Abuse On The Rise On College Campuses Across The Country
Wed July 17, 2013
East Greenwich Officer Charged With Assault on Man in Custody
State police report an East Greenwich police officer has been arrested on charges of using excessive force on a man who was in custody.
State police said East Greenwich police Lt. Paul Nahrgang had a confrontation with a prisoner, then lunged at him and grabbed him around the neck. Nahrgang alerted East Greenwich police Chief Thomas Coyle about the incident. Coyle viewed the incident on surveillance tape and then alerted state police.
The incident happened on May 22nd, and Nahrgang turned himself in on Tuesday. He’s been released on bail and is scheduled to be arraigned next week.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com