Most Active Stories
- Nuala Pell, Spouse And Political Partner Of Sen. Claiborne Pell, Dies
- Scott MacKay Commentary: We Remember: Patriot's Day 2014
- Brown University Looking To Become Center For Brazilian Study
- Beer, Wine Bills Backed By Farm Breweries And Wineries, But Not Liquor Industry
- Remembering Local Musician David Lamb Of Brown Bird
Mon February 11, 2013
Education secretary cancels trip to RI
U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan will have to forgo his trip to Rhode Island, no thanks to the weather. Duncan was scheduled to attend a town hall-style meeting tonight on school safety and to headline a Tuesday morning event at the Rhode Island Convention Center. His office says the secretary's flight to Rhode Island was canceled.
A group of teachers had planned to protest outside the event tonight at Providence's Classical High School. The teachers say they are are unhappy with a partnership between their union and the Providence Public Schools, which is aimed at turning around troubled schools.
The turnaround effort was to be the focus of an event Tuesday at the Rhode Island Convention Center. The Providence Teachers' Union and district officials have formed a partnership called "United Providence," which is already working to overhaul several low performing schools.
Update: Organizers say that event will go on even without Duncan. They're looking at having him piped in with an audio or video feed.
The Education Blog