Most Active Stories
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- A.H. Belo Hires Arkansas Firm to Explore Sale of the Providence Journal
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics + Media
- This I Believe Rhode Island: Getting Up Early
- Prescription Drug Abuse On The Rise On College Campuses Across The Country
Wed June 12, 2013
Edwards Says Sakonnet Tolls Will Hurt More Than They'll Help
Residents and merchants in the East Bay are sharply opposing tolls on the Sakonnet River Bridge. Local lawmakers have joined them in asserting the tolls will hurt the economy in communities near the bridge.
The House Finance Committee offered an initial hearing Tuesday for an alternative proposal for funding bridge maintenance. It would eliminate the tolls and use higher vehicle inspection fees and other sources to pay for keeping up bridges. One of the co-sponsors of the bill, state Representative John Edwards of Tiverton, sat down to explain why he considers this legislation a better approach.