Most Active Stories
- Jim Skeffington, PawSox President & Prominent Lawyer, Has Died
- Biologists Plan To Continue Tracking Beluga Whales In Narragansett Bay
- Scott MacKay Commentary: MacKay's RIC Commencement Speech
- Elorza Says Further Steps Needed to Stabilize Providence's Finances
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Next Move for PawSox Providence Stadium?
Thu October 3, 2013
Eisenhower House Readies For Multi-Million Dollar Makeover
A Newport home that was once the summer residence of President Dwight D. Eisenhower is about to undergo a one-point-six million dollar makeover.
The Eisenhower House on the grounds of Fort Adam State Park will be winterized and become a year-round venue for social and corporate events. Ron Renaud, director of the state Department of Administration, said the basement is full of telephone cables.
"When he was there at his residence they brought in telephone lines and they brought in dozens of lines. So I’m guessing everything from a direct line to the White House to different departments within the U.S. government and maybe even foreign probably," said Renaud. "You can just imagine what went on just in Newport in between the President playing golf at Newport Country Club and you know staying at the house looking at Newport."
President Eisenhower stayed at the Newport home during summer vacations in 1958 and 1960. The home is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org