Most Active Stories
- W&I Researchers Find Single Family Rooms Better For NICU Babies
- TGIF: 17 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Almost 15 Years After Cornel Young Jr.'s Death, How Much Has Changed in Rhode Island?
- The paranoid opposition to RhodeMap RI
- 'Warning Shot': Sen. Warren On Fighting Banks, And Her Political Future
Thu December 19, 2013
Electric Boat Commits To Expansion In Rhode Island
Submarine maker Electric Boat is expanding its presence in the state.
Electric Boat has signed a 25-year-lease that expands its footprint at the Quonset Business Park by 40 percent. The company makes Virginia Class nuclear submarines for the Navy. The Navy recently doubled its order from one sub to two. Steve King, director of the Quonset Development Corporation which negotiated the lease, says the company will use the new space to accommodate the heavier workload.
"It means that we’ll be seeing some minor increase in jobs in the near future. They’re going to grow from about 2700 today to a little over 3,000. And then in the year 2021 or so they’re going to start a major ramp up in employment ultimately to six thousand jobs here at Quonset," said King.
Electric Boat currently employs more than 25-hundred people. The average wage is more than 50-thousand dollars, not including benefits.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org