Scott MacKay CommentaryScott MacKay Commentary: Democratic Gubernatorial Candidates Start Taking Off The Gloves
Political RoundtablePolitical Roundtable: Rep. Abney on Newport Grand, Speaker Mattiello & The Sale Of The Projo
RI NewsNewport City Manager Cites Difficult City Council In Decision To Step Down
Most Active Stories
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- Joe Paolino vs. Edie Ajello?
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Democratic Gubernatorial Candidates Start Taking Off The Gloves
- Newport City Manager Cites Difficult City Council In Decision To Step Down
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
The Education Blog
Wed November 13, 2013
Exclusive: Providence Schools Investigating Alleged Sexual Assault
Providence public school officials are investigating how an elementary school student was allowed to go home with a man who is now accused of sexually assaulting her.
The incident occurred last week at Asa Messer Elementary School. Providence Superintendent of Schools Susan Lusi says a student was allowed to leave the school with a man, who was known to staff and had been seen multiple times with the girl and her family. However, the man was not on the list of people allowed to take the girl home. After they left the school, the man allegedly assaulted the student.
Lusi says the school department is looking into whether disciplinary action is warranted for the employee who allowed the girl to leave with him.
"This is every educator and parent’s worst nightmare," Lusi said. "We just have to be ever-vigilant for the safety of our students and we take that extremely seriously."
Providence police have been investigating the alleged sexual assault. The school district says it is reminding all schools to review and follow dismissal policies. The district declined to give specific information about the girl's age or grade, citing concerns about protecting her privacy.
The Education Blog