Most Active Stories
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- Scott MacKay Commentary: More Twists In Providence Mayoral Contest
- Cianci Says He Expected A Two-Man Fight When He Entered the Mayoral Race
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Rhody Votes '14: Republicans for Governor Debate
Mon October 21, 2013
Family To File Wrongful Death Suit Againt RI Turnpike And Bridge Authority
The families of two people who died in a head-on crash on the Pell Bridge will file a wrongful death suit today against the Rhode Island Turnpike and Bridge Authority and other state entities. The filing of the lawsuit comes on the second anniversary of the fatal crash.
On October 21, 2011 Kenny Prior and Kathy Meunier were driving across the Claiborne Pell Bridge when their vehicle was hit head-one by a car that crossed the median. Both died as a result of their injuries.
Today, their families will file a wrongful death lawsuit against the Turnpike and Bridge Authority, the Rhode Island Department of Transportation and the state of Rhode Island. The suit alleges the bridge is unsafe and that state officials failed to address a known public danger.
The suit claims that industry standards require median barriers on bridges that carry more than 20-thousand vehicles a day. The Claiborne Pell Bridge carries 27-thousand vehicles daily and has no median barriers.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com