Mon June 24, 2013
Firefighters Battle Heat, Chemical Blaze in Central Falls
A spokeswoman for Memorial Hospital said that three first responders were treated there for heat exhaustion after battling a five-alarm fire at a chemical company in Central Falls. Dyana Koelsch said none of those first responders had been admitted to the hospital.
Temperatures crested 90 degrees today, adding to dangerous conditions for firefighters and rescue workers.
The fire started today in an old mill building, most likely during a mixing process that involved toxic chemicals.
Firefighters from several communities worked to extinguish the fire. Hazmat crews, including a unit from T.F. Green Airport, were called to the scene. And medical teams from Memorial Hospital were on standby on site as well as at the hospital.
Koelsch said Memorial’s triage unit had since been given the “all clear” and was no longer expecting mass casualties.