Most Active Stories
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Providence Journal, We Knew Ye Well
- A.H. Belo Hires Arkansas Firm to Explore Sale of the Providence Journal
- TGIF: 12 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics + Media
- This I Believe Rhode Island: Getting Up Early
- Prescription Drug Abuse On The Rise On College Campuses Across The Country
Mon July 1, 2013
First Medical Marijuana Festival in RI Held in Providence
Rhode Island saw its first medical marijuana festival Sunday. It was held in Providence in a parking lot on Kinsley Avenue. About two dozen vendors sold marijuana paraphernalia and growing equipment. It was sponsored by the Rhode Island Patient Advocacy Coalition, a group that fought to legalize medical marijuana in the state.
Visiting the festival was Peter Benson of North Kingstown. Paralyzed in a bicycle accident, he takes marijuana to ease the pain of muscle spasms.
"I found it to be the most effective product that I could use that actually kills my muscle spasms in their tracks. I tried various muscle relaxers and other pills and I wasn’t happy taking the pharmaceutical drugs and gave the medical marijuana a try and the results were amazing so there was no need to go back to the pills,' said Benson.
Although Rhode Island now has two medical marijuana stores, many patients are still getting the drug from caregivers – people authorized to grow marijuana for medicinal use.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com