Most Active Stories
- TGIF: 17 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Scott MacKay Commentary: The War Is On Thanksgiving, Not Christmas
- Scott MacKay Commentary: Is The Mattiello-Paiva Weed Geezer Tax Cut Plan Realistic?
- Matt Jerzyk Joins Speaker Mattiello's Staff As Deputy Legal Counsel
- Phil West On Two Decades Of "Secrets & Scandals" In Rhode Island
Mon July 1, 2013
First Medical Marijuana Festival in RI Held in Providence
Rhode Island saw its first medical marijuana festival Sunday. It was held in Providence in a parking lot on Kinsley Avenue. About two dozen vendors sold marijuana paraphernalia and growing equipment. It was sponsored by the Rhode Island Patient Advocacy Coalition, a group that fought to legalize medical marijuana in the state.
Visiting the festival was Peter Benson of North Kingstown. Paralyzed in a bicycle accident, he takes marijuana to ease the pain of muscle spasms.
"I found it to be the most effective product that I could use that actually kills my muscle spasms in their tracks. I tried various muscle relaxers and other pills and I wasn’t happy taking the pharmaceutical drugs and gave the medical marijuana a try and the results were amazing so there was no need to go back to the pills,' said Benson.
Although Rhode Island now has two medical marijuana stores, many patients are still getting the drug from caregivers – people authorized to grow marijuana for medicinal use.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com