Most Active Stories
- TGIF: 19 Things to Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media
- Scott MacKay Commentary: The PawSox Baseball Move to Providence: Good or Bad?
- PawSox President James Skeffington On The Case For A Providence Ballpark
- Scott MacKay Commentary: The Myth Of Rhode Island's Generous Programs For The Poor
- Settlement Presented In Pension Case; May 18 Deadline For Implementation
Wed January 8, 2014
Flu Now Officially Widespread In RI
It was only a matter of time…
The flu is now widespread in Rhode Island.
That means there are outbreaks of the flu in more than half the state. It also kicks into effect a state requirement that health care professionals who have NOT been vaccinated wear surgical masks whenever they’re in contact with patients. The health department reports that flu-related hospitalizations are up as well.
And officials continue to urge people to get vaccinated. The dominant flu strain this year is H1N1, which appears to affect younger people in particular. This year’s vaccine was designed to protect against H1N1.